Thursday, January 7, 2010

Can Organic Church Last?

It seems I write about it daily. I think about it constantly. I wish I didn't feel led this way as it's much easier to stick with the status-quo. I'm speaking about Organic church and it is the current trend in the Christian faith with the hope of bringing back a more authentic community life, an end to silly institutional spending and an abolition of the clergy/laity divide while re-instituting the biblical view of an all member functioning community in which the body becomes the true expression of Christ as it moves in the way the Spirit leads it. Many believe it is the answer to the lack of transformation in the individual and the way for the church to get back to her true definition. Regardless of how you feel about it, it's here and it's gaining steam.

Today, I've posted a link to a great article I read in Christianity Today that gives a great outline and description of what is happening and what has historically happened to similar visions for the Church in the past. I hope you check it out and gain insight, perspective, hope and an opinion about where you stand in your own relationship with Christ, His bride, and your perspective on where the church is headed.

If you are like me, a bit torn in your view of "church life" and you hear this still small voice calling you out of institutionalism but unsure if you are walking into a possible heresy (that is Organic Church life) I urge you to read this. If you are living the institutional church life, have no issues with it, but wonder what those crazy revolutionaries are fighting for when it comes to Organic Church I urge you to read it. If you are looking for something interesting going on inside your family (your eternal family) that you may not know a lot about, I urge you to read it. In other words, check it out and let me know what you think.

(Click the title for a link to the Christianity today article)

2 comments:

  1. "Our God appears not to be particularly taken with efficiency, effectiveness, or our changing his world. He is mostly interested in our obedience. What he longs for is not people who make a difference in the world, but people who listen for his call and lovingly respond—no matter how absurd or impossible the command."
    This is very well stated. Even if it turns out to be what others would call it a fad, who cares? We would all be better off being obedient to what we believe God has demanded of us. Like how much can you screw up by loving others? I like it, if it can be done without institutional church bashing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you Bill. Jesus wanted "mercy and not sacrifice" in Matthew. The Father wanted "obedience and not sacrifice" according to Samuel. As Chambers said, and I'm paraphrasing, God wants the total abandonment of self and total trust and obedience to Him. I'm working on my own tone when it comes to the institutional church because I recognize I'm talking about many in my own family. At the same time, I personally can't help but respond to a call that is clear from God. Even if my voice is small, or I'm called to echo the voice of others, I'm ok with it, as long as I'm fulfilling His purpose for me. thanks for the response!

    ReplyDelete