Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Trusting Truth- 40 Days of Psalm 37 (Day 18)

"The days of the blameless are known to the Lord, and their inheritance will endure forever." Psalm 37:18

The message today is one that gives us an eternal perspective. It is one of patience and peace. One of hope and a future. One of eternal blessings and gifts. It is a reminder that whatever you are going through, God not only understands it but He knew you would experience it since the day you were born. Throughout scripture we are constantly reminded of God's faithfulness to His people. From the Manna in Deuteronomy 8 to Jesus telling us to store up treasures in Heaven instead of Earth and to not Worry about the "things of this life" in Matthew 6:19-34. God has always desired that we take on a certain understanding of who He is and how he provides. He desires our obedience more than sacrifice as stated in 1 Samuel 15 and He cares what we care about, especially when our desires have become His.

I came across a quote today by Elisabeth Elliot that truly encompasses this passage. She states, "The God who created, names, and numbers the stars in the heavens also numbers the hairs on my head...He pays attention to very big things and to very small ones. What matters to me matters to Him, and that changes my life." Why is it that we believe we must do everything on our own? Even more importantly, why do we worry about things happening to us now when we have a God that not only knows what's going on, but is able to bless us for eternity. Instead, in our own fallen perspective we refuse to travel the easy road that seems difficult and opt instead for the difficult road that appears easy.

Today for me is a day of honesty. I frequently struggle with fear and worry, not just in a sense of feeling anxiety, but more in a sense that I need to fix everything in my own power before I become uncertain; I guess you could just say that I fear uncertainty. My moods are more often influenced by what I think I need, and I become frustrated when I ponder how I can be downcast when I have a God who "knows my days" and is preparing an eternal inheritance for me. I believe in the realness of God's Kingdom, but I also desire to set up my own comfortable kingdom here on Earth. I claim that I know He'll take care of me, yet I pray that He won't make me suffer through hard times. I tell others that God can do miracles, yet when he allows me to be in a place that I need a miracle to get out of, I quickly resort to my own abilities in order to do everything I can to not enter into that "riptide" of suffering. I consistently lack the kind of Faith needed to not only move a mountain, but to just trust in God to provide for today.

How many of you today are going through difficult times in your life? Sure we remind ourselves that God loves us and knows what we're going through, but do we believe He is big enough to help us grow through our circumstances? Do we read His word in a way that comforts us because of what He is capable of giving us, but leave out the part that He tells us to only focus on today or that we may suffer many things in this world but to take heart because Christ has overcome the world? Do we willfully avoid difficult situations only to strip God of the opportunity to perform a miracle in our life? I urge you today (as I urge myself) to let go of what we think we need. Trust God that He knows everything about us including what is needed to get through today. Trust that we not only can experience a peace that passes all understanding by trusting Him, but we also invest in an "eternal inheritance that will last forever".

No comments:

Post a Comment