Thursday, July 23, 2009

Trusting Truth-40 Days of Psalm 37 (Day 5)

"Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:" Psalm 37:5

To not state the obvious wouldn't be fair to any person who is reading today. This verse appears to be a "run on". If I had a dollar every time I heard those two words in English class after I received a paper back in High-School I'd have somewhere between thirty and fifty dollars. Therefore, I specialize in "run on" sentences and I feel right at home today. It is also important to state that the scripture will eventually let us in on what God WILL DO, but we can focus on that tomorrow since "today has got enough problems of it's own". We must always remember that because of the greatness of God every word He says has meaning and in this case, the little "run on" of verse five is no different.

We've talked over and over about trusting Him. About letting go of ourselves. But why? The big reason is right here. If we "commit" and "trust", He will "DO"! That's it. Trusting Him allows us to take the weight off of making ourselves perfect, gives us relief from making tough decisions alone, and frees us from taking on the stress that comes with the "cares of the world". It allows God to be the "doer". Because some days I feel as though I'm about as sharp as a marble, I figured I'd share a quote with you I tore out of a calender earlier this year that says so much about the truth in this verse. It was written by Joni Eareckson Tada and it says,

"God wants us to lay our burdens on Him and rest in His love. It's His responsibility to work out the purpose and plan in our hardships. Only our refusal to trust Him...can hinder His purposes in our lives."

I couldn't have said it better myself (which in the Spirit of stating the obvious today is the reason I used the quote). When we refuse to trust God, we hinder His purposes in our lives. All the times we try to "do" Christianity or "do" what we think is right, we actually get in the way of the Spirit who does the work of Christ through us in His perfect timing. So often, we believe doing means moving in some direction, but aren't we still doing "something" even if we're doing "nothing"?

For those of you who always feel like your actions must be defined by a verb, this is a great time for you to "Let Go". Letting Go of your will is what will allow God to move in your life. This scripture is a true reminder that God is always at work, but He cannot fulfill His purpose in you, until you get out of the way of His plans. By letting go of ourselves we are actually increasing our Faith and most importantly we are allowing God to be who He is...God!

No comments:

Post a Comment