Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Trusting Truth- 40 Days of Psalm 37 (Day 3)

"Trust in the LORD and do good; Dwell in the land and feed on His faithfulness"-Psalm 37:3-NASB

After talking with a few people regarding this blog, it's been brought to my attention that these devotionals need to be shorter. So...let's get right to it!

Trusting God is one of my favorite topics. Let's face it if I can't trust Him, then I don't really believe in Him. If I don't trust that he'll take care of my needs (which He knows better than me), than I don't really believe in who He says he is. If I'm stressing about my life, than I don't really believe He has my best interest at heart. If I'm not trusting Him, then I'm counting on my "mortal" self to take care of my present and future. But as I'm learning day by day, we don't have to strive any longer. God is trustworthy and we can feed in this life on His faithfulness to us.

God's theme for me since July of 2008 has been to "Let Go". It's crazy that two words totalling five letters can mean so much. Those two words are literally life changing if we allow them to be. Letting go means abandoning ones self for His sake. Letting Go is what we do so that we can truly trust Him. It means forsaking what we think is best in our own lives and trusting that God's knowledge of the past, His future foresight and His current insight are where the best circumstances lie.

When we dwell in God's land we can feed on the faithfulness that our Creator does not change His character. He is a God who loves us, a God who provides, a God who is just, and a God who is eternal. When we put our Trust in Him, we are letting go of treating this life like it is all there is. When we trust in God's faithfulness we may rest in His peace knowing ahead of time that we are taken care of.

If you are going through a tough time (and who isn't?), take note of what area in your own life you are trying to control. Hand over that area to a God who loves you. Taking control and trying to "fix" our own lives leads to tension and discontentment as we never allow our problems to leave our mind. Instead, hand your issues over to God and trust in the fact that He is faithful and will provide. It was Jesus who said in Matthew 11:28-30, "Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for you souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Trust Him and live in the land of His faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment